Wednesday, October 16, 2013

June 29th - July 31st 2012, My amazing time here was filled with puppies, healthy and sick baby goats,
a fishing net for a fence and that damn mongoose that no-one else saw.
All the guys were very welcoming and were full of laughter - especially Bandara who made me laugh so much (even though he was probably joking about me!)
The fence project was ridiculously frustrating! Fishing net, barbed wire and sticks don't mix well. Looking after the goats was fun - they are such characters … Hercules (the big guy) is such a big softie! Even chasing them through the papaya and eggplant fields with Alex was hilarious.
Ohh and the puppies! My sweet Homer, Darwin & Wallace; I want to take them home with me.
Chaminda's ideas for this farm are awesome and I sincerely wish they achieve sustainability. Also, Mala, sweet Mala! Her eggplant curry is the best I've ever tasted.
No doubt there were some challenges - the main one being animal welfare that made me sad and I hope you will think of a ether way of handling the chickens (tinning them hanging upside down from a tree as 'punishment' isn't really the way to go, hmmm?)
Other than that I will miss this farm, the animals and the people. Here are some moments that stick out in my mind:
* Alex and I walking back from the shop with some goodies. Bandara comes around the corner on a motorbike and yells "Jujubes!" mmmm jujubes.
* Chatting with Chaminda, he's halfway through a story then up he leaps sprinting through the forest throwing rocks at wild dogs! He comes back, sites down and continues on with his story like nothing happened.
* My 24th birthday! This one is a birthday that I'll never forget. So much lovely singing (sorry for the national anthem) and good times around the bonfire on top of the rock.
* Roasting cashews with Nimmal, Kumara and the other guys. 2 day later when I was taking a break in Trinco finding the resin had stained/damaged my fingertips!
…and many more moments that will stay with me for a long time.

I really enjoyed this experience and I hope I heaped enough. Look me up if you're in New Zealand (or Russia).
Hana, New Zealand
hanani.aickin@yahoo.com


P.S. Fuck! I'll never be a proper farm girl - I cry too much when animals die. Rest in peace poor puppy Wallace :(

No comments:

Post a Comment