Monday, October 7, 2013

To the Eco Farm from Jack McCarthny

To the Eco Farm!

How can I describe three months in a few pages? Firstly I want to thank everybody for making me feel at home from day one, even with the huge language barrier I never felt left out or excluded. I was just the silent observer! So I'm sorry about that, but I have always been a quiet guy. I have no regrets from my time on the farm but I wish I could have learned some more Sinhala. But hey I knew the essentials;
Beedi, beedi, beedi!
When I came to the farm in September I didn't know what to expect, I looked at the Sun-baked ground, the mud huts, the mangy chickens and thought, shit, I'm in for struggle! And that first week was just that; it was probably the hardest of my life as I was struggling to adopt to the different environment while putting myself into it, not to mention the difficulties of the drought and the water! But things changed, I made it through that week, I began to observe the work ethic of Chaminda, Thilina, Kumara & Susith and you guys began to inspire. I realised then that you believed in the farm and so do I.
I can't describe how much respact I have for you four to devote all the time, money and energy into a project like this. You deserve every success that comes zour way and I know it will; eventually. There are some hard times ahead for the farm, but I wholly believe that this period is worthwhile; we learn every day, little by little, what the best methods are, you learn from mistakes, learn what works well, what plants grow well with others etc. etc.
And because you'r willing to put the work in, and adapt the negatives will slowly melt away. To Mala, Rathnazak and Bandara I just want to thank you for all the times we shared; the many many beedis, tea breaks, your beutiful cooking Mala, Bandara's whistling, laughing and indecipherable yelling! Rathnayok's quiet, shy manner. I will really miss you guys and it was an honour working alongside you. Rathnayak, you're a man with a good heart, please take it easy on the Arrack. I don't want it to destroy you :(
To Daniel, Suzie, Betty, Harachi and Jesse; how such awesome people, so great to spend time with like minded people, I wish we had longer together but what can you do? For you guys and all the new volunteers, take some time to think about what the eco community are doing, learn as much as you can from them. I promise your time at the farm will be so much more rewarding when you realize that the work you're doing isn't just to build sustainability but a living example of a better Sri Lanka.
So back to Chaminda, Thilina, Kumara and my Ganja man Susith! I really don't know what to say, the four of you are beyond inspiring, you're some of the best people I have ever met, most people's minds are centred around themselves and then their immediate family. You look beyond that and into the problems of Sri Lanka, a difficult task ahead but one that I look forward to watching develop and helping in any way I can back in New Zealand. I know the four of you are all really different, and that perhaps problems have arisen from the minor difference but you must remember you share a common goal and only through 'mutual completion' will you get to it!
That's about it from me, you know I will be back, I can never stay away from home for too long! Good luck with everything guy, its been a privilege living and working alongside such whole hearted people.

Jack McCarthny
Jack.maccarthny@gmail.com
24 Paice Ave, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand, 1024

No comments:

Post a Comment